CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY, March 26 – Known as the island “Born of Fire”, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) through Secretary Rosalinda Dimapilis-Baldoz, declared Camiguin as Labor Laws Compliant Tourism Destination and unveiled the marker on March 13, 2015 along the highway of Barangay Tupsan, Mambajao, Camiguin.
After which, Secretary Baldoz with Undersecretary for the Mindanao Cluster, Atty. Rebecca Chato planted Lanzones seedlings beside the marker, giving more significance to the event and as advocates of the Green Our DOLE Program. Camiguin is known to be the abundant producer of sweet lanzones fruit.
Together with the five municipal mayors of Mambajao, Catarman, Mahinog, Sagay, and Guinsiliban, Governor Jurdin Jesus M. Romualdo welcomed the pronouncement and assured the Secretary of Labor that all business establishments in the province with Certificates of Compliance from DOLE is vital of their issuance of Business Permits. He has the same vision with the Department, “We are looking forward to being a world class tourism destination and one way to achieve this is giving the right wages and benefits to the workers.”
Representative of the Lone District, Atty. Xavier Jesus Romualdo, thanked and welcomed the business partners and encouraged them for their unwavering compliance.
The Hotels, Resorts and Restaurants Industry Tripartite Council (HRR ITC) created in 2013 of the province and with existing voluntary codes of good practices, is receptive of this feat.
The declaration was the result of the Labor Laws Compliance Officers’ Joint Assessment to the private establishments, thus the issuance of the Certificates of Compliance (COCs) of the General Labor Standards and the Occupational Safety and Health Standards, namely: (1) Camiguin White Island Beach Resort; (2) Vjandep Kan-Anan sa Parola; (3) Camiguin Island Golden Sunset Beach Club; (4) Agohay Villaforte Resort; (5) Bahay Bakasyunan sa Camiguin; (6) J & A Fishpen Resort & Restaurant; (7) Mark Kay – Bahay Bakasyunan; (8) Coral Dive Resort; (9) Northernlights Downtown; (10) Cebuana Lhuillier Services, Corp.;
(11) L. G. Lasacar Construction (office); (12) Ruby Appliance Marketing, Inc.; (13) Fun Tours Ticketing Services; (14) Assets Credit & Loan, Inc. – Camiguin Branch; (15) MSS Cycle Trading; (16) Greatfit Makers, Inc.; (17) Breeders Agrivet Supplies, Inc.; (18) Villa Paraiso Apartelle; (19) Cambridge Inn; (20) D & A Seaside Cottages;
(21) Cabua-an Beach Resort; (22) Caves Resort; (23) Julie’s Bakeshop; (24) Camiguin Island Resort; (25) SNOB Lounge; (26) Camiguin Northern Lights; (27) Luna Restorante; (28) Caves Hardware & Auto Supply; (29) LBC Express, Inc.; (30) Racal Motors;
(31) Vjandep Bakeshop; (32) Soling Food Products; (33) Ferrabrel Beach Resort; (34) W & M Premium Store; (35) Corrales Caltex Station; (36) Camiguin Volcan Beach Eco Retreat & Dive Resort; (37) Maestrado Tablea; (38) Wonderland Pharmacy & Grocery; (39) RBT Inc. (Microbusiness Office); (40) 24-25 Finance Corp.;
(41) 1st Valley Bank; (42) Mambajao Credit Coop.; (43) Fatima College of Camiguin; (44) V. O. Salcedo Supermarket; (45) ADB Caltex Station; (46) Du Ek Dam, Inc.; (47) Camiguin Highland Resort; (48) Prime Asia Pawnshop & Jewelry Shop; (49) RD Pawnshop; (50) Arbee’s Bakeshop;
(51) Action Geckos; (52) Japuz-Jansol Enterprises; (53) Camiguin Telephone Coop.; (54) GV Hotel; (55) Palawan Pawnshop; (56) Camiguin Electric Coop.; (57) Tee Enterprises; (58) Sheen-Sheen Construction, Inc.; (59) FICCO; (60) D. L. Bonita Enterprises;
(61) 4R’s Foodhaus; (62) Check Point Plaza; (63) La Isla Cosina; (64) Secret Cove Beach Resort; (65) Casa Rosa Inn; (66) Jai-Jai Appliance Center; (67) WST Shopping Mall; (68) LCG Trading-Camiguin Branch; (69) Philstone Shipping Corp.-MV Kalinaw; and (70) Philstone Shipping Corp.-MV Yuhum.
Baldoz congratulated the Camiguin Province, “It is indeed much more fun to be in Camiguin for the labor laws are strongly supported by its local chief executives.” The Secretary further assured the local government, “After the issuance of the COCs, we at the DOLE will give a Productivity Toolbox of programs and services to the private establishments to sustain this declaration and impart inclusive growth through investments.” She reminded everyone to practice decent work for all.
Further, during the program, the Municipality of Mambajao, through Mayor Ma. Luisa D. Romualdo was also declared as Labor Laws Compliant Tourist Destination Municipality. Secretary Baldoz with Governor Romualdo replicated the unveiling of the said marker. Governor Romualdo also ordered the remaining Municipalities to replicate the same declaration in their respective municipalities.
One of the awardees, the Golden Sunset Beach Club of Barangay Yumbing, Mambajao, Camiguin, through its Manager, RJ Gucor, disclosed to DOLE that being a COC awardee for the first time is an advantage to their business. “We will really display our certificates for it shows a good perception to the tourists,” Gucor humbly shared. Also, as the Chairperson of the Labor Sector under the HRR ITC, he fully supports the Labor Law Compliance System of the DOLE, “Not just an officer of the Council, it is also my duty to advocate to others to be labor laws compliant.” (Mildred E. Dablio/DOLE-10)